Friday, May 24, 2013

A Formal Betrothal

All characters appearing in this work are real. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely intended. Names have been changed to protect the identities of these individuals.

---


“What is his name?” Sam asked for the hundredth time.
“I’m so tired of saying there isn’t anyone,” thought Angela. “I’m going to make this good.”
“His name is Reginald...I’ve been betrothed to him to save my family from financial ruin. He gets me and two goats.” responded Angela.
“Why have you kept this from me!?” Sam cried in agony.
“It’s purely a match for convenience. Its my secret tragedy.” Angela blustered, grinning in enjoyment.
“This is all not very nice. And I’m assuming the goats and arrangement is a church thing, right?” Sam responded.
“Of course,” Angela replied. “Would you expect anything else?”
“I just didn’t know you would turn like this and be so NOT nice. Keeping secrets like this.”

“Uh oh,” thought Angela... “He’s not taking this seriously is he? Arranged marriage and goats, really?”
“Oh..Sam... I’m sorry." she faltered. "Did I take that too far? Ok... If there ever really is a guy, I’ll tell you.”
“Wait... you mean this actually isn’t happening?” Sam spluttered back.
“No Sam! I’m not letting anyone trade me with goats!" Angela shrieked. "But it was a good story though...wasn’t it?”
“Yes... But I’m not completely thrilled with you at the moment.”
“I’m sorry. It was funny! I didn’t think you’d take it so seriously.”
“I thought it was real. I was sure you were betrothed,” Sam complained.
“Not at all. I’m sorry.” confessed Angela.
“I still think it’s real and you’re trying to back out because you realized you were driving the dagger deep.”
“Well, in that case... Can we still be friends when I have to marry Reginald?”, suggested Angela slyly
“Yes we can. Can we still make biscuits together after you’re married to Regie?”
“Yes please! Good old Reggie.”